Monday, July 28, 2008

One of those days

I am not a morning person.  There are benefits to being one of those people who hate getting out of bed.  At home, everyone else is gone before I get up, so often I get the bathroom and the whole house to myself.  As long as I time it right, traffic is a breeze!

Today, however was one of those days.  You know what I mean, Mr Murphy must have been living in my back pocket today.  I had to get up early this morning because I had to be at work bright and early (ok, 8 am isn't that early but you get my drift) for a meeting that I was hosting.  I set two alarms just to be on the safe side and I begged Mr. Monkeygirl to make sure I get up on time.  Of course, last night was the night that my insomnia decided to come back.  I dosed up on Tylenol PM and finally fell asleep.  Maybe they should relabel this Tylenol AM since I could not wake up this morning to save my soul.  Mr. M gently made his plea for me to puh-lease get up or I would be late for work.  Despite all of his kind words of encouragement, he was only greeted by grunts from under the covers (sometimes, I wonder why he even puts up with me!).

I finally drag my happy butt out of bed and after some sort of miracle, I finally get my act together and head out the door.  Things are looking good so far. I'm leaving later than I really wanted to but, hey, I still have plenty of time to get to work before my meeting.  Then I hit my first snag.  Traffic is crawling!  I can't figure out why and I start to panic.  Can I go a different way?  How long can I sit here before I will be late?  Can I host a meeting from my car? As I run through my possible options, I spy the source of my morning anxiety. It's a school bus.  Huh? I'm pretty sure that school doesn't start for another two weeks.  Are they doing practice runs?  Why today, of all days?  Finally, the bus turns the corner and things start looking much better.

I make it to work with 5 minutes to spare.  I have just enough time to start my PC and grab a Diet Pepsi (Caffeine, I need caffeine...).  I'm waiting for my PC to finish booting up when I glance over and see the one thing that I fear the most.  The one thing that makes me break out in a cold sweat.  The one thing that makes me want to burst into tears.  It is the dreaded blue screen of death.  Some fatal error occurred and my PC was preparing to barf it's memory into some unknown space.  Now, this isn't something that you want to happen - ever.  But today is really NOT a good day for this.  I spent a good chunk of my weekend on a presentation for a meeting later this week.  I only saved it to my hard drive.  If I lost it, I was doomed!  Completely surprised, I lose my ability to censor and blurt out what I was thinking but in a career saving moment, am able to suppress the profanity.

Now my adrenaline was pumping and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Thankfully, the caffeine kicked in and I was able to recover gracefully to my near disaster.  For a completely different reason, I happened to e-mail the presentation to a couple of people last night so I wasn't totally hosed!  Since I had spent so much time on it, I practically had the entire thing memorized so we could continue with the meeting.  

The day didn't get much better from there.  Suffice it to say, I'm really glad to be home!


No comments: