Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Indian Giver

I hate to do this, but I'm desperate!  

To all of my friends that I have been so willing sharing my brain with over the past few years, I have a desperate plea...I need full and complete use over my brain again.  I promise that you can use as much as you want of my Cerebral cortex between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am Central Standard time, but I insist on exclusive rights to my brain functions for the remaining 16 hours of the day.

I really need to be careful what I wish for.  At the risk of sounding like Rodney Dangerfield "I don't get no respect!" was my battle cry for years.  But things changed earlier this year.  One of my biggest beefs for the past few years was that I wanted to be taken seriously.  I am an educated woman and I have the background to back up what I say.  Seriously, I have only spent all of my adult life working in the same industry (same company)- I think I know what I'm talking about.  I've worked on almost every side of the process - I've done it, managed it, trained others on it, even written the applications used to do it.  Yet, despite all of this experience, because I didn't have a "the title", I was often dismissed and over ridden.  Talk about pissin' a girl off!

But this has all changed in the past few months.  I have a new boss.  I didn't want to like her, she was so unlike my old boss, but I can't help myself.  She is cool - a tad bit hyper - but she can seriously affect change.  I don't have "the title" but I have gotten a lot more respect since she came on board.  People actually listen to what I have to say.  Some people even come to me seeking my advice that used to be the biggest poo-poo'ers of my ideas and opinions (NV - Especially my rude cow!).  

So, I finally am getting the respect that I thought I deserved all these years. Cool, right?  Eh, not so much!  I have discovered that with all of the new found respect also comes a huge amount of headache. I've already had over 16 hours of meetings this week alone and it's only Wednesday.  I have resorted to logging into my e-mail at stop lights on my way to work to try to figure out where I need to be first thing in the morning (no, I do not text and drive - I'm not that coordinated). I have to fight with people that I normally got along with really well (note to my former boss - mom and dad are fighting again and this time it's not so creepy).  I have to be a complete b*tch sometimes (okay, that really hasn't changed from before).  Some things I have to do, I don't even understand (there is a reason I changed my major from Accounting my freshman year).  

If I'm going to survive this new found glory, I need to regain complete autonomous control of the entire brain again.  Sorry, but a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do!


4 comments:

NV said...

OK. But you realize this is akin to divorce, this divergence of the collective brain. To borrow the title of a great blog:

OK. Fine. Dammit.

Seriously, glad you are finally getting the respect you deserve. Go sistah, go! (And moooove over, Rude Cow!)

sewwhat? said...

AND CALL YOUR MOTHER! DO YOU REALIZE I HAVEN'T LAID EYES ON YOU SINCE SEPT. 13? AND WE ONLY LIVE 2-1/2 MILES APART?

MonkeyGirl said...

NV - Don't think of it as a divorce, just think of this as a trial separation.

Sewwhat? - Phones are two way communication devices and quite often you travel to a location within a block of my house. Besides, every time I call, you aren't home!!

Ann said...

I feel you kicking ASS. I just hope it's not your own as well. You deserve all of this GOOD stuff, but not the yuck - hang in there, the good will keep comin'... :)