Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pumpkin Withdrawal


In years past, I would have already had a couple of jack-o-lanterns ready to go for the big holiday this weekend.  But not this year.  I've looked at pumpkins but haven't taken the plunge yet.  I'm not sure what I'm waiting for, it's not like they are going to go "bad" in the next couple of days.  

Maybe I'm procrastinating because I know that when I do buy a gourd, I will have to fight Skaterboy's repeated attempts to plead his way into using a chainsaw on the pumpkin.  No, he doesn't have Freddie Krueger tendencies.  One of my good friends, B started hosting a party years ago mixing power tools, pumpkins and alcohol.  It was always good fun and no one ever lost a limb or suffered any mortal wounds.  B couldn't host the party this year and I don't think anyone else is brave enough to take on the mess that results from hoards of people using drills, saws and other assorted power tools to create the best jack-o-lanterns ever.

Maybe I will relent and let Skaterboy use a power tool - in the back yard!

4 comments:

NV said...

I'm depressed about this. It's like a big gaping hole right in the middle of the holiday.

Just tell Skaterboy to not damage any digits AND keep any tools away from his phone.

sewwhat? said...

Ditto to NV! Dismembered digits might be a great special effect, except that Skaterboy will have to live with the consequences for a long time.

I always appreciated the pictures from Pumpkins and Powertools, leading me to know how truly creative my daughter's friends are. B has a high tolerance for disgusting messes, I remember some pictures of some experiments gone completly awry while using the microwave in past events to create art!

Ann said...

Wow, okay...I hate carving pumpkins. Why? Because I suck ass at it. But you just gave me the best idea (I think?). I'm going to take my drill and drill holes all over the pumpkin - how COOL would that look w/ a candle inside?

Omg, I feel so Martha. Thank you.

MonkeyGirl said...

It just wasn't the same without a porch full of jack o lanterns but we made it through.

Ann- I suck at the traditional method too. But it is amazing what a drill can do to bring out your inner Martha!