Friday, October 10, 2008

No Way, Not Yet

I have had some issues getting up this week. Each day got worse and worse.  One day I woke up at 8 am and was walking in my office at 8:45 showered, dressed and stressed out.  The next day, I woke up at 9 am.  And I scheduled a 9 am conference call.  Ooops!

I racked my brain trying to figure out why now.  Was it the stress of the past week? Maybe.  Was it the fact that is is darker in the mornings now?  I don't think so. Going to bed too late?  Always a possibility but I haven't been going to bed much later than usual.  Seasonal allergies? That usually has the opposite effect since breathing is difficult.  

Last night I checked and rechecked the alarm.  It was set for the right day, right time, right time zone.  The volume was set to a sufficiently jarring level.  Sound was coming out.  As a back up, I set my cell phone to an annoying volume and sound.  I was bound and determined not to oversleep this morning.

Fast forward to this morning at exactly 6:47 am.  The alarm goes off as it should. I lay there for half a second thinking that I'm losing my mind.  The lyrics start to sink into my brain...
Christmas, Christmas time is near
Time for toys and time for cheer
We've been good, but we can't last
Hurry Christmas, hurry fast
Want a plane that loops the loop
Me, I want a hula hoop....

You have got to be kidding me!  It must be a joke, they are not really playing Alvin and the Chipmunks.  And it's not really a Christmas song, it's way too early for that. I hit the snooze button and hoped for a return to reality in ten minutes. Much to my utter dismay, they are still playing Christmas music when the alarm goes off again.  Then I hear the new catch phrase "Your Holiday Station".  Are they crazy? It's 80 degrees outside.  My pool is still open.  It still sees a little too early to put out the Halloween decorations.  Why on earth are they playing Christmas music?

The station's website boasts that they play an "upbeat mix" and "42 minutes of uninterrupted music per hour".  Nothing on the station's website offers an explanation or even an inkling that they are playing all Christmas music.  Except the little "Now Playing" blurb at the top of the web page that currently says "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer by John Denver".  Okay, it isn't even good Christmas music.  

I have to admit that I don't listen to this station anywhere or anytime other than on my alarm clock.  We apparently have signal issues in our bedroom and it is one of the few stations that I could actually get in clearly.  My brain apparently was processing the Christmas music earlier in the week and was telling me it wasn't time yet, so I kept hitting the snooze button.  Now I understand why I couldn't get up.  Well, I gotta go now... Johnny Matthis is asking "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and I have to go claw my ears out!

5 comments:

sewwhat? said...

Now for the embarrasing story of your past issues with getting up on time--from MonkeyMomma. We lived directly across the street from the elementary school. I swear, MonkeyGirl would hear the 8:25 bell while still in bed and be dressed and in her desk at school by the time the 8:30 late bell rang, she was dressed, not so sure about anything else, but I think this happened on a rather regular basis. Of course, this was when she was a cool 8th grader and could run fast.

MonkeyGirl said...

SewWhat? - Back then it was a challenge, now I can't throw on whatever is laying on the floor and run out the door. Growing up sucks!

NV said...

I keep hearing about this on the news. It makes me laugh -- and think of you!

Ann said...

OMG, you TOO said the "C" word already, just like NV did! I just fainted a little on THIS blog TOO! Dang the both of you girls!

MonkeyGirl said...

Ann - I will try not to use the "C" word until it is appropriately late enough in the year. Man I feel like I need to wash my mouth out with soap now!