Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I am Offended


Lake Superior State University is on my list.  I'm not even sure where this institute for higher learning is located or anything about them, but they are on my list, man. They have recently published their annual List of Words to Be Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-use, Over-use and General Uselessness and guess what appears on the list?  Monkey!!

They say Monkey should be banned - particularly on the Internet because, and I quote, "many people seem to think they can make a boring name sound more attractive just by adding the word 'monkey' to it."  Oh no, you didn't just dis my blog name?!  Bring it on, you maverick!

I honestly didn't pick the name monkey because I thought it would make my blog more attractive.  I picked the name because I have a thing for all things monkey-related.  The Barenaked ladies song "Another Postcard" is a personal favorite.  And yes, I have gotten postcards from a chimpanzee, all of them sent anonymously.  My personal favorite, Starsky and Hutch chimps driving in a car!  I have a rather extensive monkey collection that graces my office at work.  It is a challenge to find a monkey related souvenir when you travel.  And, last but not least, I have this thing for Naughty Monkey shoes.  Not only are they cute, they are different.  Plus it is fun to watch a bunch of stuffy guys in my line of work, crack up when you tell them you are wearing Naughty Monkeys!

So maybe I should change the name of my blog - to something like "Maverick Monkey Going Green to Change the Carbon Footprint".  How do you think they would like that one?

3 comments:

Sugar Jones said...

I love the word Monkey! I am so sure!! How can you possibly over use the word? And, as a matter of fact, it totally makes other words better! Last year, my babies had a Monkey Party. I call my son Monkey Boy. And do you remember that line in Lemony Snicket? "I don't speak monkey..."

I am as offended, if not more, than you!

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

MonkeyGirl said...

Sugar -

Monkey is just one of those words that is fun to say. You can't not smile when you use it! So - have a happy monkey new year, too!

NV said...

I am doubly offended on your behalf. And just who the hell do these people think they are anyway?

They're just monkeys, too, after all. And are they smart? Well, not so much ...