Sunday, January 11, 2009

A lot

A lot.  Two little words can pack a powerful punch.  Depending on how you use these two little words, it can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Earlier in the week, whenever they were uttered it wasn't with a good connotation. There were a lot of meetings, a lot to consider, and a lot to do at work and at home. There wasn't a lot of time, there wasn't a lot of sleep, and there wasn't a lot of down time.

But by the weekend, these two little words were twisted in a positive way.  We had a lot of time, a lot of things to consider, and definitely a lot to do.  There still wasn't a lot of sleep but that was because we wanted to stay up all night!  We had a lot of food, a lot of fun, and some of us had a lot of patience.  All in all we got a lot done!

This weekend was our annual girl's scrapbook escape.  We all meet at a local hotel and take over a conference room for the weekend.  We pack up all our supplies, a ton of snacks and few changes of clothes and head off to mainly relax but if we happen to get a little closer to being caught up on our books, even better!

I am not a speedy scrapbooker.  I never have been.  I have a tendency to come up with these "brilliant" ideas for a page layout that take forever to complete.  I've copied a pattern in a swimsuit for a completely coordinated page.  I have created an entire paper pieced baby album in about a month or so, while working full time, going to school full time, selling my house and moving.  Oh yeah, and this was all over the holiday season.  Yes I am a glutton for punishment!  

I'm not always happy with my creations, but everyone seems to love them.  As the 'artist', I see all of the flaws (real and perceived) and I'm not sure I will ever be thrilled until something is absolutely perfect.  After a very long week at work, I decided on Friday night to create a race car using my Cricut machine.  It looked relatively simple.  After all, all I have to do is to punch in a few buttons ad the machine does the rest, right?  Yeah, right.  This particular car ended up being created from at least 38 individual pieces of paper that all needed to be glued together.  After a very, very long week, this was not a project that should have been started after 10:30 pm.  But I have never been overly smart and I am completely determined and refused to give up.  About an hour and a half later, I had my master piece completed and I have to admit that I am pretty proud of the results.  There are a few things I would do differently next time, but overall, I think it rocks!  Let me know what you think of my creation - good, bad or indifferent.


As an extra bonus, I completed 19 pages this weekend.  I normally get about 5 or 6 done because I spend more time looking for things or thinking about what I want to do.  I was in the zone this weekend!

5 comments:

NV said...

I STILL think it should could for its own page, if not TWO!

It was A LOT of fun, ideally, A LOT of pictures, and here's to A LOT more of both in 2009.

NV said...

That should be COUNT. I don't need to tell you that I'm sleep-deprived! :-)

Mama Martha said...

I agree with NV it should count as a page all by itself! Thanks again for all the laughs and fun.

MonkeyGirl said...

MM and NV - I seriously want to do some more of those but I have a real job that I have to take care of first.

sewwhat? said...

Now those results are spectacular, you'd better trot that album out at all our family gatherings!