Thursday, November 20, 2008

There is no place like home

Whew!  This has been a week.  Traveling always wipes me out.  Being "on" day and night is mentally exhausting and then keeping up with the stuff at the office in your down time can make one woozy.  But on this trip, I had a little added drama to make me glad to be home.

I felt horrible all week.  It started over the weekend with a scratchy throat.  I didn't think much of it since it was 30 degrees and snowy.  I figured I would try to get in to the doctor on Monday morning if I didn't feel better.  Monday morning came and I felt much better so I decide that I didn't need to try to squeeze in a doctor's appointment between work, packing and making a mid afternoon flight. Apparently that was a big mistake.  

All week I alternated between an earache, a headache, or a sore throat.  At 2:20 this morning I woke up to all 3 and realized that my glands in my neck are also visibly swollen.  While I knew my doctor wouldn't make a house call in Arizona, I decided I would try to get a jump on all of the other sick people in the midwest.  I placed a call to the office early this morning and was told that I could NOT make an appointment and that the doctor was only seeing "emergency" patients on Friday.  What exactly is defined as an emergency I asked?  "Oh, you know if you are sick or have a cut or something" was the chirpy response.  

So I guess I qualify as an emergency but I have to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow for one of the lottery slots for the emergency sick people.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

NV said...

"If you're sick ..." Yeah. Like you'd call the doctor if you felt great.

Welcome home! here's hoping you won the medical lottery. :-)

MonkeyGirl said...

I won! I won a coveted 11:10 am slot although she didn't sound convinced that I was really sick...

Mama Martha said...

What is the official verdict? Strep?

MonkeyGirl said...

And the winner is....a virus. I wish is sounded more exotic to feel as horrible as I have for the past week.