Monday, August 4, 2008

How much is that doggie in the window?

Come on, sing it with me, you know you want to!  (arf! arf!) The one with the waggley tail.  

Mr. Monkeygirl has been asking for a dog for a long, long time and I have been hesitant.  Don't get me wrong, I love dogs.  I grew up with a dog and as soon as I moved out of my parent's house, I got a dog of my own. At one point in time, I had two dogs in my home.  So, I can be classified as a dog person even though I haven't had a dog for awhile.

As much I proclaim to be a dog person, Mr. Monkeygirl puts me to shame.  I overheard a conversation he was having with his brothers at the dinner table and they were naming the dogs that they had as kids. 
     Brother 1: Do you remember King?
     Brother 2: Big King or Little King?
     Brother 3: What about Duke?
     Brother 2: Which one? Duke I, Duke II or Duke III?
     Brother 1: Duke III. What about Satan?
     Brother 3: Oh yeah, Satan!  Don't put him with Devil.  That would be big trouble!
And the conversation continued on, each one naming dog after dog.  I finally stopped them and asked them how many dogs they had when they were growing up?  They paused.  You could see them counting in their heads.  The final answer? Well over 100.  Now before anyone runs to the phone to call the Animal Protection people, Mr. Monkeygirl's family owned a kennel and a canine security service.  They had a reason to have so many dogs and many of them they considered pets.  I'm not sure that I would consider Shizen III trained attack dogs pets, but they did! 

Ever before we got married, Mr. Monkeygirl and his Skaterboy have been lobbying for a dog.  As I said, I love dogs, however I have some reservations about getting a dog again.  Number one, they both want a huge dog.  Generally, one that slobbers excessively.  Number two, they can't agree on what they want.  Number three, while we have decent sized yard, a good chunk of our yard is concrete and we don't have a fence.  Finally, and this is a very selfish reason, I finally got to the point where I could buy and wear black clothes without being covered in dog fur before I walked out the door.

This past weekend, Mr. Monkeygirl showed me a picture of a very cute dog that was up for adoption by Stray Rescue.  He is very cute.  They have a "Rent-A-Dog" program where you can take the dog home to see how things work out before you finalize the adoption.  This dog looks an awful lot like my favorite husky, Keeley.  A dog would make me get up and go for a walk every day.  Mr. Monkeygirl would be so happy and wouldn't complain so much when I travel....

Does anyone else see a dog in my future?

1 comment:

NV said...

Dogs are great. A lot of work, but great! As long as everybody in the house pitches in, it would be a wonderful addition!