Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ike was a Baaaad Boy


Hurricane Ike blew through town today and made a big mess before leaving almost as quickly as he came.  I knew it was going to rain.  I knew it was going to be significant.  But I didn't expect this.

I heard the rain this morning.  It sounded heavy.  But honestly, after margaritas and the late showing of The Dark Knight, I was just too tired to care.  I rolled over and went back to sleep.  Monkey Mamma called and woke us up to reports of major flooding in the area.  The local creek (aka storm sewer) overflowed.  I have driven past that creek thousands of times and I don't think I have ever seen water in it. Want fresh fish? I think I know a local grocery store that has live fresh fish available this evening.

We were very lucky.  We had a little trickle of water that came in through the basement windows.  The pool turned a lovely shade of light green. An inch or two more and the pool would have overflowed. The palm trees are laying on the ground (but they fall over if you sneeze).  Other than that, nothing else happened here at our house.

The reports on the news of local issues are devastating.  As bad as it is here, we are still lucky.  We only got the kinder, gentler version of Ike.  We didn't get the full blown, pissed off, mad as hell and I'm not going to let anyone stand in my way version of Ike.

2 comments:

NV said...

Yeah, Ike pretty much sucks! At least he didn't wipe us out.

Ann said...

GLAD that everything is pretty much okay. What a storm that was for some folks. WOW.